Friday, January 15, 2010

I'd like to boast of progress...but I can't.




We got the second spacer that we needed for the carb from WW and yesterday got a chance to try AGAIN to install it.


This garage session ended with Craig making violent motions toward the engine with a screwdriver, and a call to our mechanic to beg for help.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING was lining up quite right which was frustrating to say the least.


BB-sporting her new "Big Blue is a friend of mine" sticker.

We tried to get our chi back by changing Jasmine’s oil. Does anyone have any advice on reducing condensation in your oil in the winter?

Finally, our mechanic called back and the conversation went something like this:

Craig: I’m going to throw this engine in the river—nothing is lining up properly.

Mechanic: Is there anything chrome on it?

Craig: Yeah—the fan shroud.

Mechanic: (Here’s where I have to edit so that nice people will keep reading this blog.) You really need a stock fan shroud.

Craig laughs

Craig: Is that what the problem is?

Mechanic: (editing again.) I hate aftermarket stuff.

We were both incredibly relieved and far less interested in giving the project up all together by the time their conversation ended. Good times.

4 comments:

Ludwig's Drivers said...

I'm with the mechanic: aftermarket=caveat emptor.
Reducing condensation (I assume your oil was creamy, and we're talking water here) in the oil should be simply a matter of hopping on I-84 and giving the old girl some extended high-speed driving. You should also make sure your thermostat is attached and operating the flaps--another example of owners/mechanics trying to out-engineer VW is to disconnect the thermostat: "Don't need it anyway!" False.

Alright,
whc03grady.

Blogger said...

Hang in there Craig!

I'm sure a few weeks from now you be past this one :)

Have you tried thesamba.com - I've found a few good answers on this site.

Good Luck!

Paul

Minnie said...

Oo, a new latin phrase for today, I like it. Yeah, we are talking about water in the oil. Just how long is an extended freeway drive?
I'll check on the thermostat--good advice.

Paul, thanks for your optimism! Thesamba rocks my world. I was actually on it when I got your comment.

Ludwig's Drivers said...

Take a drive to Mountain Home and back. It needs to get hot enough, long enough, to boil off that water. (It's also good for burning up carbon around the valves, which tends to accumulate when most of the driving is start-stop-start-stop for short periods.)
Alright,
whc03grady.