Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Riviera Curse

We love that Penny is a Riviera—really—we do. When we bought her, we didn’t know a ton about Westys and Rivieras, just that the camper conversions were done by two different companies (Westfalia and Riviera respectively in case that’s not obvious) and we knew that Riviera tops pop straight up and Westys pop up at an angle.

The thing we did not at all anticipate is the near impossibility of finding replacement camper parts for Penny. One of the biggest differences between Westys and Rivieras is that VW contracted with Westfalia to build Westys, while Rivieras were shipped from the factory to distributors as standard (non-camper) busses/vans and the distributor contracted with Riviera to do the camper conversion.

This has caused the following complications.


1) Historically, I’ve found that a lot of the really solid information about VW history comes from the UK. I’ll bet that a lot would come from Germany too, but my ability to read the German language is impaired (okay, nonexistant). The point being that since Riviera conversions were done in the US, there isn’t much information coming from Europe on the subject.

2) Also, there isn’t much information in the US. I searched for info about Rivieras on Wikipedia. I realize that Wiki is not a reliable source of information, but this further reinforces my point. Even Wikipedia, where you can find information about EVERYTHING, only has this to say about Riviera.
“Riviera Motors was the Beaverton, Oregon based regional distributor of Volkswagens. Westfalia Campmobiles were selling too quickly for the distributorship to meet demand at the time, so beginning in 1965, Riviera Motors contracted with ASI (Automotive Services, Inc.), based in the Vancouver, Washington area, for Type 2 camper conversions. ASI/Riviera campers were converted to Westfalia-styled Campmobiles from panel and passenger vans during the split windscreen era, with conversions predominantly based on passenger van models after the 1968 introduction of the bay window Type 2. Production continued until sometime in the mid 1980's, with conversions built on the Vanagon (T25) platform after 1979.”

That is ALL that Wiki has on the subject!

3) There just aren’t that many Rivieras. This means that not that many people need parts, which means that no one has found it economically viable to produce replacement parts.

4) ASI has gone out of business. I did find a parts catalog that contained part numbers for all of the parts I need. It was from 1985.

I was able to find the following two very helpful links, but that's about it:
http://www.type2.com/library/camper.htm
http://www.rivieraregistry.com/history.php

All of this makes me very curious and also makes me think that I will be visiting the Beaverton and Vancouver public libraries in the future. Research project!

If you are reading this and would like to correct me on anything regarding this post, PLEASE do! I would love to be wrong about pretty much anything I’ve said above.



23 comments:

Vip said...

I would love to prove you wrong but I have found, general rule, that you are most often right on any subject so I will just say that this was an interesting read.

Classicvibe said...

Jeez, you have me a little scared. I just bought a Riviera and I am a little worried about what I have gotten myself into!

Minnie said...

Oh--don't panic! I'm really cynical, but in all actuality, we love our Riviera!

Unknown said...

In terms of the interior,wouldn't a westfalia camper interior fit into a riviera camper? I just bought a 1971 Riv and I was so excited to find it. I like it better than a westy. Sleeps 4 adults! I have a 71 Westy that a friend is giving me with a full camper interior. Will i have spec issues installing westy interior inside my riviera? Just curious. Thanks! Jeff

Minnie said...

Hi Jeff,
Since you've got two buses of the same year, all of the Westy stuff should fit fine. You'll have to drill some new holes, but other than that I don't believe it will be a problem.
I'm no expert on bay window Rivieras though--if you haven't already, you should check out www.bigbluevw.com. they've got a bay window Riviera and lots of knowledge!

Thanks for stopping by!

pcan09 said...

Hi there!

I just bought a 1976 Riviera and was wondering if there was a site to order parts from?? Or will the westy parts fit problem free??

Thanks,
pete

Minnie said...

Hi Pete,
Congratulations!

In my experience, Westy and Riviera camper parts don't mix, but don't panic. You will just have to look a bit harder to find what you are looking for. I have not ever been able to find a site that sells new Riviera parts--mostly due to the fact that ASI is no longer in business.

You can find stuff at junkyards, RV shops, or bustedbus.com. Also, I'd recommend asking over at bigbluevw.com. You might also check the classifieds on thesamba.com.

Good luck, and enjoy your bus!

Prez said...

Nice post on the Riviera. We have a 1974 Riviera camper and we love it. Her name is Annabelle Leigh and we picked her up in Oregon and drove her all the way to Kansas City. As far as replacement parts are concerned, yeah, it's difficult depending on what you're looking for, but generally speaking the mechanical and most hardware for the interior (sans the actual camping conversion furnishings) are from the same model year as the bus. I've not ran into any issues finding things I need to keep my Riviera looking new and barely used shape.

What are you trying to find or what was your main concern about finding replacement parts for your Rivieria concerning?

Unknown said...

We have an 81 Vanagon Riviera now, we previously had a 1979 type II Riviera. ASI used off the shelf parts in all there conversions so any RV store has the stuff you will need (albeit more modern and may require some modifications). For instance, the water system is all old Coleman stuff. The faucet is still made and is called a rocket 2 way hand pump. the fridge is standard old Dometic etc. So fret not fellow Riviera brothers and sisters.

Auto Parts said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I stumbled upon your blog and it brought back memories. I worked for Riviera for several years and used to borrow the company-owned campers to take on trips. They were great and I'd love to have one now.

Unknown said...

I'm looking at an 85 Riviera model Vanagon. The owner says that the propane refrigerator does not work. He says it's English made and he doesn't know what it needs to be fixed. Does anyone know if the whole kitchenette runs on the same propane system (fridge, sink, and stove)? How would I find parts to fix it? Is it worth paying extra for the Riviera model if the kitchen doesn't work?

Minnie said...

Hi Aaron,

I really don't know whether the ice box and stove would run on the same system, as our Riviera had an ice box, not propane fridge.

If all of the other components of the Vanagon are pretty nice, or you are getting a killer deal, then I'd say--go for it.

Having said that, I would not pay more for a Riviera than for a Westy of equal quality, unless you have no interest in resale value. Westys tend to sell for more than Rivies.

Also, be honest with yourself about how much you're going to use the fridge/sink/stove. We used our ice box a lot, our sink rarely, and we usually used our Coleman stove instead of the built in stove b/c if you cook in the Vanagon, it will smell like food for weeks afterward.

Vanagon campers are wonderful camping machines--I recommend them highly. Best of luck to you on your search!

DirtyDiesel said...

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I bought a 74' Vanagan Riviera that I'm going to be driving it into Canada and I'm concerned that I maybe held up at the boarder because some of rules state that "vehicles that have been modified from their original state, other than regular maintenance, may not be eligible for importation into Canada. For example a van equipped with a raised roof and/or modified interior. It's the interior I'm concerned about because looks like he put in wood floors and replaced the cabinet with some shelvings...not major changes but changes nonetheless. Does anyone know where I can get original manufacture pictures for this year and model??

Billy Jack said...

To blogger Stephen. You said that you used to work at Riviera.
Did you remember a Ted Anderson who also worked there?

David and Pam Damico said...

I just re-built most of the cabinets on a 1985 Riviera camper. I still have the original pcs ( for measuring), and the original stove top which I replaced, along with the original sink. Both in sketchy condition. Quality of cabinets was horrible. Stapled and double-faced tape used a lot. Abandoned ice chest and on board water tank to make storage space..added inverter, microwave, new cooktop, new bigger sink hooked to outside water only. Came out well...in

Unknown said...

I am getting ready to remove the entire original interior of my 80 Riviera Camper - It is all there - so if anyone needs anything .. you can e-mail me.

I am re-designing the the entire thing Except the Amazing top which I love. I have had 8 Westies and this is my first Riviera and I am sold on the extra headroom and space.
(Posted on 1/13/2013)
Jonathan

Unknown said...

Hiya!!
Mines a 74 Riviera and I think it is totally original so take a look at the pics!! :) Let me know if you see something not original please!! :)
Cal
X

http://s633.photobucket.com/user/Mentalcal/library/1975%20Riviera?sort=6&page=1

Debora said...

I have a 1985 Riviera in Florida! I agree finding replacements parts is tough. The heating vent covers were all cracked and I couldn't find any, so I got some JB weld and molded what was missing and then repainted. They look pretty darn good. :)`

ClickNathan said...

Anyone ever have any luck finding a replacement fridge that fits into their Riviera kitchen? We full-time in ours and our fridge has finally got to the point where it's just sucking all of the juice out of our batteries...but finding a replacement is proving difficult.

JP said...

Does anyone know where to get a replacement seal that wraps around the front top of a 1977 Riviera?

Unknown said...

Shot in the dark here, does anyone know if riviera/ASI did the conversions on other vehicles as well? I have a riviera style poptop that I removed from a 76 dodge b300 tradesman, and then installed on a camper shell. It looks like it is the same poptops from Westys.

hockeymatrix said...

Hi. I am restoring the top of my '77 Rivi and was wondering what that grey putty is that is still pliable after all these years? Could it be window putty? Is there any other product that can be used today to replace it? Thx, Ron