Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Oregon Coast

We finally have completed what I would call a successful “road trip” in Penny. We’ve taken here lots of places before, but nowhere more than about 350 miles. Last weekend, we actually made it to the Oregon coast, halfway down the coast, and back. Hooray! This was about 1400 miles (Craig will correct me on the exact mileage later, but he is snoring next to me with a cat on his head and would probably be annoyed if I woke him up to ask for the answer).

We had such a good time that I almost cried when we got home yesterday. We had two reasons for being happy to be home 1) we missed our cat (I mean cats--plural--yeah, we totally missed you too Couch), and 2) you can‘t pump your own gas in Oregon, which we don‘t particularly enjoy.

At the beginning of our trip, we decided to stop at every feasible, Dairy Queen that we passed and get a Dilly Bar because, well, we like doing random things. This proved to be great fun until we saw three Dairy Queens within about an hour. I swear that forth one did not exist. It was a Wendy’s, I’m sure of it.

This trip was awesome because we had NO plans. Well, we had the plan to get to the Oregon coast and we had to be home for work this morning, but other than that, NO plans. We had really good luck with lodging, three nights for $46--not bad, eh? We also learned that with premium gas, a tailwind, and a downhill stretch, Penny will go 80 mph . We also learned that when they say there is dense fog going over Meacham summit, they mean DENSE. We estimated 10 ft visibility…of course, that may have been in part due to our oh so lovely headlights which Craig swears you can’t tell whether they are on or off.

Here's the trip in pictures.

Some beach somewhere. I'm judging by the cleanliness of my hair that it was the beach at Seaside.
Campsite #1

The trip odometer rolling to 1000


Amazing fused glass in the Newport Aquariam

More fused glass. It was breathtaking. (Then again, I do really love fused glass.)

"Welcome to Oddwater--where its okay to be weird" We felt so at home!

Couldn't help myself...

Multanomah

Campsite #2


Craig waking up...and the new curtains.

Some beach somewhere.


Jer Bear bus.


Campsite #3

Sand dollar hunting. Unexpectedly enjoyable.

4 comments:

The VIPs said...

the new picture in your header is SO awesome. You and Justin are slowly wearing me down on the whole camping in a bus thing. Thanks for posting the pictures, we're drooling over here wishing we were at the coast right now.

The VIPs said...

added the link to the tie-dyed cake to my post- beware, it's made with a bottle of sprite.

Rebecca McNair said...

Looks like you had an awesome trip! I miss the oregon Coast so bad! I haven't been to Cannon Beach since my honey moon! Long overdue!

Petra said...

Oh, what a fun trip!