Friday, June 4, 2010

Out With the Old, In With the Older.

My father-in-law has grown tired of hearing about VWs on this blog, so today I’m going to start with a different genre of story. :-)

One semester when I was in college, I thought I would major in Statistics. I love numbers and data and thought this would be a perfect field for me. I called my mom (who is a math professor) to report to her my newest choice of path (I went through a lot). Her response to my announcement was: “Statisticians are the whores of mathematics”. Oh…thanks Mom. Her point was that Statisticians sell their skills while REAL mathematicians are poor hermits who go loony and forget to shower and wander the streets in search of answers to numerical quandaries. Something like that anyway. (Back to VWs.)

My real point in telling you this story is that sometimes I worry that readers of this blog will think that Craig and I are the whores of the VW world because we go through so many vehicles. The truth is, that we love to see VWs on the road and we always spend more money on our VWs than we make in selling them. We may be a little anti-frugal at times with our VWs, and we may be a little too passionate about keeping these beasts out of the crushers, but we don’t think we are whores. Hopefully you agree. Also, we have really short attention spans.

You see where I’m going with this, right?


A couple of weeks ago, we started talking about selling BB. Long story short, we listed her just to test the waters and three days later she was gone. Sigh. We’ve got some mixed feelings over here. We’re really disappointed with our timing as we were EXCITED for the Maupin campout in Mid June which now we aren’t going to be able to attend. We’re going to have to wallow in self pity and do some retail therapy buying parts for our new….

’58 double door panel bus! We didn’t think we’d buy another project anytime soon, but one thing led to another and, well, we did. We’re not positive what this baby is going to look like when we’re done (will it be a camper? A 15 window?) but we’re really excited and we should have some serious project blog posts coming up soon. We’re so excited!

In the mean time—does anyone have any friends who would like to buy this beautiful ’65 11 window standard? We love her but kinda need the funds to get the ’58 on the road.


Thanks for reading and for all of your support!

6 comments:

emily said...

let me know if you ever see some sweet deals for one in the dc area :)

Big Blue's Driver said...

No bay windows in the family! And no Maupin! Fine. Fine. We'll let it go this time, but you better be there next year. And show some pics of the new bus!!

Unknown said...

reading your blog, restoring my 71vw westfalia that I have owned for 20 years. proving difficult to find some parts. wondering how much BB went for? sounds like it sold very quickly...

Minnie said...

Hi Kevin,
What sort of parts are you having difficulty locating? We didn't have much trouble finding Westy stuff.
Actually, looks like the guy who bought BB is selling her: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=989656
He's asking a little more than what we got, but he is in California. People seem to be able to sell them for a little more there.
Best of luck with your restoration!

Unknown said...

Is there a market in flipping old VW vans?? Looking for small stuff, that seems to be mostly in California - interior dome light lens (large white one), side curtains (or the original curtain fabric), seat belts, really just odd finishing bits. Good luck with your next restoration.

Unknown said...

unreal that it is going for that price (low). was your cost to restore it below that, as it sounds like it is all new engine and rebuilt top to bottom?