Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Interior and Emblems

We’ve been working on BB’s interior. Craig came home from camping and helped me come up with a solution for the panels and here they are! They aren’t original or anything, but I think they look pretty decent. Same with the carpet. I spent all morning on Saturday scrubbing these carpets on our front lawn and they turned out to be in good shape. I don't want to glue the carpet down, so it is just sitting there right now. I'm not sure what negative impacts this might have, but until I think of any, this situation seems good to me.


I didn’t want to put the panels on the back of the drivers and passenger seats as I thought it looked better without and that area is one of my favorite parts of the paint job. I thought it would be a shame to cover them up. Craig conceded. He must love me. :-)
Also, we purchased both emblems from a guy in Oregon (Oh Oregon, we love you) as BB came with neither and received them last week. Craig was napping when they arrived, so he woke up with a shiny VW on his chest.
We put the rear emblem on last night. When we removed Bluebell's emblem to paint, we had rather flipantly dropped the rubber pieces that hold the emblem on, on the ground as we had broken the little pegs in the process and thought them to be disposable. Last night when we went to put on the new emblem we realized that we had no rubber pieces...but I knew they were on the ground somewhere. After a bit of searching, we were miraculously able to find three black rubber pieces (the fourth peg was broken so three were all that we needed). Yea!We are still trying to figure out how to mount the front emblem. Our best guess is that this bus had a wheel on the front—as it was a camper and then someone put bondo over the holes. In light of this I’m pretty apprehensive about drilling into bondo, and potentially maiming the nose of the bus. I’m half tempted to leave the emblem off, but the nose looks so sad without it. Suggestions anyone?

2 comments:

Ludwig's Drivers said...

You can glue it on with a good all-weather adhesive. (You'll have to shave the pegs off, though.)

Alright,
whc03grady.

Big Blue's Driver said...

There is a diagram on The Samba somewhere on where to drill, but if there is bondo there, it may not be such a clean drill.

But you are right - the front emblem looks better than no emblem. I bought one in the first week for Big Blue and have yet to get the body work done to put it on. It sits, lonely, on a shelf in the workshop.